Why are there scientific studies coming out that show that our food system today is gradually decreasing the intelligence of our society over time? Some body cells need certain nutrients to execute specific functions to be able to function well. Neurons in our brain are not exempt from this requirement. The brain uses up a substantial amount of energy in comparison to the rest of the human body. The brain is only about 3% of our body weight but it uses up to 17% of our energy. What we eat can destroy how our brain functions or it could literally end up being valuable “food for thought”.
A highly regarded geneticist from Stanford University, Dr. Gerald Crabtree, says that our intellectual downturn as a society has a lot to do with adverse genetic mutations. According to Crabtree, our mental and emotional capabilities are fueled and dependent upon the intertwined effort of thousands of genes. Genetic mutations over time are primarily linked to a change in the dietary behavior of a society.
Our eating habits have an important influence over how our brain performs and develops. Recent studies have shown that a person’s diet is capable of enhancing cognitive abilities, counteracting indications of old age and producing protection against any harm to our brain. What we eat unquestionably can affect how we think. Below are some of the dangers to mental health existing today that are related to our nutrition.
Fluoride in Water
Research studies from Harvard have discovered that fluoride, a chemical substance which is widespread in the nation’s water supply, is reducing IQ and dumbing down the nation. Consuming fluoride in our drinking water has been proven to not reduce cavities. Even if it could, the health of our brains is a lot more important than the health of our teeth. The EPA has actually classified fluoride as a substance ”with substantial evidence of developmental neurotoxicity”.
A study in the journal called Environmental Health Perspectives uncovered “a significant dose-response relation between the fluoride level in serum and children’s IQ”. In fact, they declared in this study that this is the 24th study which has revealed this association. They also discovered that children in places where there was a greater concentration of fluoride in their drinking water had a significantly lower average IQ than those who were living in lower fluoride areas.
There are so many scientific research studies which confirm the harmful effect of fluoride that it is incredible that it is not regarded as a scientific fact by now. Even with the evidence against it, fluoride continues to be put into 70 percent of U.S. public drinking water supplies. Of course, we must not forget what other products this tainted water is included in. Did you know that it’s use is prohibited in the drinking water of many other countries?
At least 1.1 billion pounds of pesticides are used every year in the United States. Pesticide usage in the U.S. has increased five-fold since 1945. It is practically impossible these days to consume some food that has not been affected by these dangerous toxins.
Genetically engineered crops (GMOs) have introduced a growth in overall pesticide use of 404 million lbs. from the time that they were introduced in 1996 through 2011. That is because GMO crop programs cause pesticide resistant weeds and insects to develop that call for stronger doses of pesticides.
The key is to try to avoid exposure to pesticides as much as possible. The Council on Environmental Health has declared that, “organic diets have been convincingly demonstrated to expose consumers to fewer pesticides associated with human disease”. Stay away from GMO foods at all costs. They are now flooding our supermarkets in many different forms. Pesticides like Bt are built into the genetic nature of these crops.
One study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences found that pesticides found in our food supply are causing lasting changes in overall human brain structure. In particular, the scientists found that a pesticide known as chlorpyrifos (CPF) is being associated with ”significant abnormalities” even in small doses.
Another recent pesticide (methyl iodide) was withdrawn from the U.S. market last year as a result of protests. It had been a fumigant which could produce cancer, late-term miscarriages, fetal death, thyroid disease and could even permanently pollute groundwater. What other pesticides are out there that need to be withdrawn?
The American Academy of Pediatrics points out that research shows associations between pesticides and pediatric cancer and damaging neurodevelopment. They also point out that increased exposure to insecticides can produce brain tumors and acute lymphocytic leukemia. Pesticide exposure can cause reductions in IQ and unusual behaviors related to attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorders and autism.
In a study of 14,000 kids, British investigators identified a connection between processed foods and decreased IQ. Processed foods are filled with white sugar, high-fructose corn syrup, aspartame, artificial food colorings, as well as numerous other damaging substances. On the other hand, they observed that food filled with vitamins and nutrients helped to boost the mental performance of children as they grew older.
Strangely enough, one specific substance found in processed foods and sugary beverages is high-fructose corn syrup. UCLA scientists have also associated this to a decrease in IQ. They discovered that consuming a high-fructose diet over the long term affected the brain’s capacity to learn and remember facts and information. The typical American eats about 35 lbs. of high-fructose corn syrup yearly.
Fructose also harms the entire body by contributing to diabetes, weight problems and a fatty liver. A high-fructose diet causes harm to the human brain as well as the human body. Naturally occurring fructose in fruit contains important antioxidants. Eating natural fruit is good for a person’s overall health. The unnatural amount of fructose in lots of grocery items can be bad for our health, however.
Omega-3 fatty acids available in flaxseed oil and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), defend against damage to brain synapses that enable memory and learning. Eating salmon, walnuts and flaxseeds all safeguard the brain against the harmful effects on our brain from consuming too much fructose. Below are some of the best “brain food” sources.
Good Food Can Build a Healthy Mind
- Consume fish oil since it provides fats that contain DHA. It is beneficial for the brain and acts like a protective coating.
- Green vegetables are loaded with folic acid. Furthermore, they possess lots of other essentials including antioxidants and phytochemicals. Drink good vegetable juice frequently if you can.
- Eggs have been referred to as the ideal brain food. Eggs from pastured hens have two times as many omega-3 fatty acids as typical store-bought eggs.
- Raspberries and blueberries provide anthocyanin compounds that shield brain neurons linked to our memory. Strawberry fisetin compounds build long-term memory strength.
- Research studies have confirmed that brussel sprouts are filled with molecules that our bodies convert into diindolymethane, which is an immune-system enhancer that can help protect new brain cells.
- Kale, cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower act as powerful anti-aging ingredients for the human brain.
- Pumpkin seeds are full of tryptophan, a crucial building block of brain health used to make serotonin, an important component of mood and brain health.
- Apples provide catechins which can shield us from brain-damaging chemicals very common in everyday food items. Be sure to purchase organic apples if possible which shouldn’t have been treated with dangerous pesticides.
- Flavonol compounds in dark chocolate aid in boosting your circulatory system which provides increased blood circulation to the brain.
- Fiber-rich oatmeal, oat bran, brown rice, and such products help to stabilize blood glucose levels. On the other hand, refined carbohydrates like white bread and sugary foods do not help. Since glucose is the brain’s main source of fuel, it’s crucial to keep levels stable.
- A small Ohio University study found that people whose bodies were well hydrated scored noticeably better on scientific tests of brain power. So try to also drink enough water on a daily basis. Make sure that there is as little fluoride in it as possible, though.
- Green tea, herbal tea and nuts are also excellent brain food.
Some people will read about this information and still not do anything to change their diet. As the saying goes, “you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink”. They don’t care if they continue to get even more stupid. My suggestion to everyone is to at least try to make a permanent change in your eating and drinking habits. I guarantee that you will notice a big difference.
Don’t go too crazy with all these “brain foods”. Moderation is the best policy. We just need to make sure that we are consuming enough beneficial food. Avoiding harmful sources of food is just as important as making sure that we eat enough helpful food.
Other people need to learn about this important information. I encourage you to share this with as many people as you can. People with young children, or those who are expecting to have children, should especially be made of aware of this information. There are many wealthy elite out there that don’t want anyone to learn about this. They have a plan of their own that is only designed to hurt others and help themselves.
UPDATE: (1/16/2014) Harvard Study Confirms Fluoride Reduces Children’s IQ
I wish you the best of “believing” in all of your future endeavors,
ROB – (admin)
P.S. If you liked this article or website, any donations would be appreciated.