Is there a connection between the increasing number of suicides in the military and the fact that more than 110,000 active-duty Army troops are taking prescribed antidepressants, narcotics, sedatives, anti-psychotics and anti-anxiety drugs? Many research studies are showing that there is a definite correlation between these two issues. Our government is drugging troops.
Soldiers with injuries can easily become dependent on narcotic painkillers. Military psychiatrists are handing out way too many pills to our military. A number of troops are even being prescribed “cocktails” of psychiatric mind-altering drugs which then heighten the effect of each individual drug.
Many in the military have gone on three or more deployments. These soldiers become mentally worn out. Anxiety, sleeplessness, nightmares, stress and depression are affecting the troops serving in Americas longest war. The days of talk therapy have been replaced by the quick fix of popping pills.
Military psychiatrists and court-martial judges are not blind to what can happen when troops go to work medicated. There is a calculated risk being taken in prescribing these medications. They interfere with the brains ability to normalize itself and adjust. These medications are like a chemical lobotomy. It is similar to someone trying to drive when they are totally drunk.
The Documented Facts
* More lawyers are now blaming the U.S. military’s heavy use of psychotropic drugs for their clients’ aberrant behavior and related health problems. Take for example U.S. Air Force pilot Patrick Burke’s case. The lieutenant was found not guilty by reason of lack of mental responsibility due to the drug habit he had which was caused by the military prescriptions he was given.
* Our troops have recently been through two extended wars with increasing levels of combat stress. It is no wonder that there are now at least 110,000 active-duty military taking prescribed drugs according to U.S. Army surgeon general. There has been nearly $2 billion spent on psychiatric drugs in our military since 2001.
* Soldiers are sent out on deployment typically with 180 days worth of medications. These troops are then even trading these drugs with other military friends. They may even be tempted to over-medicate themselves since there is no one there to monitor their drug use.
* Prior to the Iraq war, soldiers were not allowed to go into combat on psychiatric drugs. Ten or Twelve years ago you couldn’t even go into the armed services if you used any of these drugs. According to the Armys highest-ranking psychiatrist, Brig. Gen. Loree Sutton, 17 percent of the active-duty force and 6 percent of deployed troops are on antidepressants. Nearly eight percent of the active-duty Army are now on sedatives which is an eightfold increase since 2005.
* From 2001 to 2009, the Armys suicide rate increased more than 150 percent while orders for psychiatric drugs rose 76 percent over the same period. In the first 155 days of 2012, 154 soldiers committed suicide according to data released by the U.S. Department of Defense. Soldiers are committing suicide today at a rate of one per day while those who die in combat average less than one per day. One third of the suicides in the military occur among those who have never even seen combat duty.
Drugs Being Issued
The modern Army psychiatrist’s deployment kit is likely to include nine kinds of antidepressants, benzodiazepines for anxiety, four anti-psychotics, two kinds of sleep aids and a few kinds of drugs for attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder according to a 2007 review in the Journal of Military Medicine.
– Prozac, Paxil and Zoloft: These are selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors (SSRIs) that boost serotonin levels in the brain. These drugs are associated with an elevated risk of suicide among young people. They even carry a warning label for people up to the age of 24.
Benzodiazepines for Anxiety Examples
– Xanax, Valium, Ativan, Klonopin and Restoril: After becoming dependent on these drugs, soldiers face enormous problems when they try to discontinue their use. Once initiated in combat veterans, benzodiazepines can be very difficult, if not impossible to discontinue, due to significant withdrawal symptoms compounded by underlying PTSD symptoms.
– Mefloquine: Some troops in Afghanistan are prescribed this drug. It is an antimalarial drug that has been increasingly associated with paranoia, suicidal thoughts and violent anger spells that soldiers describe as “mefloquine rage”.
– Risperdal and Zyprex: These are atypical anti-psychotics which are like a synthetic Thorazine. They cost ten times more than the old fashioned typical anti-psychotics. These newer generation drugs still pack their list of side effects like diabetes for the user.
Sleep Aid Examples
– Trazodon: This is effective in the treatment of major depression. It’s most common side effect is sedation, and thus, it has an off-label indication as a hypnotic. It is often used at a low dosage as an adjunct to SSRIs to treat insomnia.
– Seroquel: According to the Department of Veterans Affairs, during the last decade nearly $850 million has been spent on 6.6 million prescriptions of Seroquel. This is an anti-psychotic prescribed to the troops for sleep disorders. The risk of suicidal thoughts or actions is one of Seroquels serious side effects according to the FDAs approved Medication Guide for Seroquel. Other side effects include hallucinations and worsening mental or mood changes.
Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Examples
– Ritalin and Adderall: Tricare Management Activity, an arm of the Department of Defense that manages health care services for the military, reveals that the number of Ritalin and Adderall prescriptions written for active-duty service members increased by nearly 1,000 percent in five years from 3,000 to 32,000.
What About How Our Veterans Are Being Treated?
Active duty military personnel are committing suicide at a rate of about one soldier per day. Did you know, though, that veterans are committing suicide are committing suicide at a rate of now 22 per day? This is totally unacceptable and it stems from the fact that they are not even receiving the proper healthcare when they get out of the military.
They are being put on long waiting lists that just make the mental and physical problems that they are having even more serious than before. When they finally do get in to see a physician, they are just prescribed more drugs for their problems with PTSD, anxiety or depression which ultimately just worsens their problems. Many of these veterans are taking from 10 to 30 different prescriptions per day! Now THAT is a recipe for disaster!
Our government is guilty of drugging troops without a question. Psychiatrists today are really nothing more than just legalized drug dealers. They are dealing drugs that do not work and that are actually killing some of our best men and women in the military. These are soldiers who have access to loaded weapons or have the responsibility to protect others who are at risk on the battlefield.
According to Peter Breggin, a New York psychiatrist, some troops are now even reporting that their psychiatrist won’t approve their deployment unless they take psychiatric drugs. For some reason there seems to be an initiative to push these drugs into the military. Where is the pressure coming from that continues to push this type of treatment on our military? Is it coming from political influence?
Big Pharma has been known to often buy influence to increase its wealth. Who started this change of policy at the beginning of this century? There could even be a connection to new gun control laws that are being passed. These laws even target current as well as former military veterans. There are cases in the news now where combat veterans are having their guns taken away from them due to their drug related mental history.
The globalist rich elite don’t want to have any guns in the hands of experienced combat veterans when push comes to shove in this nation at sometime in the future. So they just financially back laws to confiscate their guns. Then to really attack these veterans, they throw money at the pharmaceutical companies and doctors in order to over-prescribe and kill off these good men and women that are our heroes. It is high time that we stand up against the abuses that are being forced down their throats before it is too late.
UPDATE: (5/4/2013) To Stay Alert, Boost Endurance During World War II, Letters Reveal
UPDATE: (5/21/2013) List of that cause sudden death is rapidly expanding.
UPDATE: (6/24/2013) – Technology is now being put into the drugs! Now your doctor will really be able to make sure that your children (or you yourself) are receiving and ingesting their medications!
UPDATE: (11/11/2013) According to a new report out of Yale University, roughly one-third of all U.S. veterans between the ages of 65 and 85 currently taking psych drugs never received any sort of .
UPDATE: (10/7/2015) Read this recent article from ZeroHedge in order to understand how so that more gun control can be pushed on American People. Guns are NOT the problem… the people who use them in the wrong way are the problem. This video below is included in that article.
I wish you the best of “believing” in all of your future endeavors,
ROB – (admin)
P.S. If you liked this article or website, any donations would be appreciated.